Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist


THEIRS: Went to see this film with a few friends on a Friday night after dinner.

NOTE: HIS and HERS do not read each other's blogs before posting.


HERS: This movie was fresh, funny, sweet, rockin' and smart. The soundtrack was spectacular. Michael Cera (from Juno fame) and Kat Dennings (who plays the "uglier" one of the pretty girls--always the brunette I might add) were fabulous. Kat Dennings captivates with ease. She is stunning to watch and is going to be a HUGE star... Michael Cera is awkward in a way you can fall in love with, not much differently than in his Juno performance.


This was a "teen movie" with gross out humor, sex, scandal, one liners, love triangles, drunk chicks, understated fashion, a underground band and a defining soundtrack. With all that said, it was a movie for all ages. A love story that has a balance of heart and the rhythm of relationships. I LOVED it and can't wait to re-watch it.


HER RATING: 9.5 Watch out world, here comes Kat Dennings.


HIS: What a pleasant surprise. I've watched a lot of teen movies. This makes sense, because I was a teenager at one point. Many times I've asked myself, "are the ones I see now as good as the ones I grew up with?"


Over 90% of the time, the answer is a resounding no.


This is not one of those times. I really liked this story. The movie is shot in NYC, which I love, and there are great characters, a well done story, and even though no one in the film seems to have a curfew, and can get into very trendy bars being severely underage, I feel like this story could happen. That these kids exist somewhere. That's interesting to me. I pulled for Nick to gain the confidence in himself you could see was brimming beneath the surface.


The two main actors had such great natural chemistry. You could easily believe those were two real people, just hanging out, talking about music. Oh, and the music was really good too. Having never heard any of it before, it got me thinking of how much music out there I still need to listen to......


HIS RATING: Solid 9 of 10 on the teen-movie scale. Solid 8 of 10 on the "traditional" movie scale.

1 comment:

Sean said...

I've been wanting to go see this, but haven't had a solid opportunity (although my kids have already gone to it!). My hope is that it improves on the novel, which gets lots of love in the YA lit community, but which I just couldn't make it through. I don't think I'm anybody's idea of a prude, but after 50-100 f-bombs in half as many pages, I decided that I just couldn't relate to the characters in any meaningful way. In trying to write something hip and of-the-moment, both authors blew a fine concept by ODing on the profanity. My understanding is that there are wide variations between book and movie, which bodes well. I love Michael Cera.