Sunday, August 10, 2008

Mamma Mia!


THEIRS: The mother in law was in town, so HIS and HERS joined some friends for a movie. It was a busy week and they were ready for a break. Note: HIS and HERS do not read each other's blogs before posting.
HERS: I was not in the mood to do anything but sit. However, a babysitter was available for FREE and we had plans to meet friends. So, with exhaustion and my stomach aching, I went ahead and went to the movie...

It was SO worth it. I was singing full voiced, swinging my arms and hands around and just enjoying a musical with fabulous acting and a beautiful scenic backdrop. Now I know what I had previously just suspected. Meryl Streep CAN do anything. She was perfect in this role and when she sang, her acting came through and I was lost in the moment. Meryl Streep. Enough said.

Amanda Seyfried

I was fixed on the eyes, smile and performance of Amanda Seyfried as well. She was beautiful, captivating and just lovely in this performance. I knew her previously as Lilly Kane on Veronica Mars season 1 and as a Mean Girl whose breasts could predict the weather on Mean Girls. She was apparently fired from a soap opera before hitting the big screen on Mean Girls. GOOD. She is too fabulous of an actress and presence on the screen to be stuck in soaps. The soaps gave us Meg Ryan, Denzel Washington and NOW, Amanda Seyfried.

I laughed loud and often, especially when Pierce Brosnan sang. He was really committed...It was just very white manish? I don't know. Like I said he was really in the role, and the voice was reminiscent of 80's pop rock--I think. Either way, he made me smile and laugh, maybe at him, maybe with him. The supporting cast was beyond fantastic and each added so much to the film. The fantasy musical numbers were hilarious and fun, fun, fun!

HER RATING: 9.5 I love musicals, Meryl Streep and I have a new found enthusiasm for Amanda Seyfried! I recommend seeing it. Have fun, loose yourself in the fantasy and just smile!


HIS: I have a bit of background with ABBA. My dad used to play their greatest hits every time we took a long road trip or moved across the country (which was more than a few times). My wife started the tradition anew because she enjoyed the peppy Swedish super group as well. I find the songs catchy, and it's impossible to be in a bad mood when you hear them.

MAMMA MIA! is like that. After watching that movie, it was impossible to be in a bad mood. Definitely an entertaining flick. All the actors went for the singing numbers (even the ones that had NO business trying to bust out a tune - Pierce Brosnan, this means you). I was very pleasantly surprised by the young main actress in the movie (which I only know as a dead character in a show I used to watch). She had pipes to spare, and stole every song she sang.

Meryl Streep. The woman can do no wrong in film. She can be in the sequel to Stop, or My Mom Will Shoot and it would get nominated for an Oscar. She needs to be in at least one film a year of varying genres so my wife and I can enjoy her talent regularly. Great job, particularly in the musical numbers with her two "partners in crime." When my wife buys this movie, I'll be happy to give it a whirl again.

HIS RATING: On a musical movie scale: Solid 8.5 out of 10. Regular movie scale: Solid 8 out of 10. Great movie to see after a long week at work and a great way to kick off a 3-day weekend!

1 comment:

Say What? said...

Didn't see the movie. Don't intend to. Not my cup of tea. However, given the fact that Pierce Bronson is giving a serious attempt at singing automatically rates this movie a 1.